Skip to main content

The Ni-les’tun site contains thousands of prehistoric herring and salmon bones, the remains of other fish species, stone and bone tools, and hearth and pit features. Radiocarbon dates from the weir stakes show that the tidal wetlands of the Coquille River were fished 800 to 900 years ago. As the river rose, a fishing village was established. The village was destroyed by an earthquake in 1700.

Ni-les’tun  has been transferred to the US Fish & Wildlife system for ongoing protection and public access. Find our more about this preserve please visit: Ni-les’tun Marsh Restoration | U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (