Skip to main content

EAST — The Arlington Preserve on the eastern shore of Virginia contains the remains of several sites dating from pre-contact Native American settlement through the nineteenth century. The Conservancy acquired the property from the Arlington Foundation in 2021, who initially preserved the land, but donated it to the Conservancy to ensure its long-term protection. As part of the transfer, the Conservancy agreed to update the worn and faded interpretive signs placed on the site. To help with this effort, the Conservancy was awarded a grant in the amount of $15,000 by the Eastern Shore of Virginia Community Foundation. This money will go directly towards developing and fabricating new panels to place at the site.

The property overlooks Old Plantation Creek near Cape Charles. Excavations suggest this may have been the location of an Accawmack village that John Smith recorded on his 1812 map of the Chesapeake Bay. The land was then possibly occupied by the earliest English settlement on the Eastern Shore in 1619, and then was part of the land owned by the Custis Family, who built Arlington Mansion on the site in 1674. Archaeological research has uncovered foundations of this house, as well as other structures dating to later use of the property. The preserve, which is maintained as a meadow, is open to visitors for passive use. The only remaining above-ground remains include a small cemetery that holds some of the Custis Family tombs. Currently two brochures are available on-site for visitors to take a self-guided tour and learn about the site through different time periods. The planned signage will compliment these brochures, and will include images of excavations and artifacts in addition to historic background. These kiosks will be developed with assistance from the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, who holds the artifact collection from the site, and the Northampton Historic Preservation Society. The signage is expected to be completed and placed by the end of 2023.