Conservancy Preserves in the Eastern Region include:
The Lamoka Lake site is one of the key sites in New York state archaeology. William Ritchie, an archaeologist with the Rochester Museum of Arts and Sciences (now the Rochester Museum and Science Center [RMSC]), conducted the first systematic excavations of the site from 1925 to 1928. This work, and his subsequent excavations with the New York State Museum in 1958 and 1962, resulted in his identifying and naming the Lamoka culture and its projectile point type. The small, narrow, thick point has become diagnostic of the Late Archaic Period in the Eastern U.S. Ritchie’s work also marked the first use of the term “Archaic” in American archaeology.
Steele was a palisaded village home to approximately 1,000 Senecas between 1640 and 1655, placing it in the thick of dramatic changes in the Seneca’s way of life during the 17th century. During this time, the Seneca became heavily involved in the fur trade and increasingly desirous of European trade goods. Some of the earliest gun parts, along with metalwork, trade beads, pottery, and a comb have been discovered at Steele.
The first naval battle of the Revolutionary War took place in the bay off Fort Foster. In June 1775, the people of Machias and the surrounding area captured the British cutter Margaretta in the first sea battle of the Revolution. The fort was the location of two houses and one block house. The fort saw action in the war and provides high research potential. The site has never been plowed or disturbed.
The site was discovered in 1986 by the Maine State Museum, and subsequent testing revealed the site was nearly continuously occupied from the beginning of the Ceramic period up to the late 19th century or early 20th century. A wide variety of early, middle and late Ceramic points have been recovered from the site, as well as contact material from the 17th through 19th centuries. It is located along the eastern shore of Governors Point, a prominent peninsula on the north shore of Big Lake.
The Barton site contains a complete sequence of occupations from Late Woodland to European contact (A.D. 1000-1600), as well as earlier Woodland and Archaic components (6000 B.C. – A.D. 1000). It possesses the remains of three highly significant villages: a Mason Island phase village, a Luray period village, and a Susquehannock village, as well as evidence of Shawnee occupation. The site has been named to the National Register of Historic Places.
Begun in 1755, Fort Littleton consisted of two to three houses enclosed within a stockade with four bastions and 75 provincial troops. Two hundred and fifty years ago this region of the province of Pennsylvania was at the center of the French and Indian War, during which France and its Native American allies fought the British, who were supported by their own Native American allies and colonial forces.
Hunting Creek Site
Previous excavations have demonstrated the presence and richness of a Late Woodland period village or hamlet associated with the Uwharrie Phase. The distinctiveness of the site and the archaeological remains found there is characterized by an abundance of artifacts within the plowed soil, frequent occurrence of human burials, both within and below the plowzone, numerous trash filled pits, and an upland topographic setting somewhat removed from the nearest source of permanent water, Hunting Creek.
Nevers is the first confirmed Paleo-Indian site in northern New Hampshire and one of the largest. Clovis spear points have been found at the site. Limited excavations indicate that the Nevers site would likely have been a tool manufacturing area, where hunters may have stayed and returned over the course of hundreds of years. At least nine fluted points as well as numerous stone tools and channel flakes have been uncovered.
Verburg Village, also known as the Rivers site, has witnessed three separate excavations in its history: in 1931, 1958, and 1971. Researchers hope that the magnitude of the site and its exceptionally well-preserved artifacts will help reveal the fascinating story of prehistoric settlement in the Lake Champlain Valley.