Tijeras Canyon Village | New Mexico

Last fall, a landowner contacted The Archaeological Conservancy about a property he owned in the Village of Tijeras. He purchased some property for residential development, but later realized there was something of significance on...

Hillsborough Archaeological District | North Carolina

The Hillsborough Archaeological District is located in the Piedmont region of North Carolina, and consists of at least four Native American sites. While artifacts have been found on the property that date back 12,000...
Photo showing wikiup structure.

Virginia City Wickiup | Nevada

After the Pyramid Lake Indian War in 1860 and ongoing environmental degradation resulting from mining and ranching, the Northern Paiute had to find alternative ways to make a living. One way was to settle...
Photo of rock covered with petroglyphs.

Cottonwood Petroglyph Preserve | New Mexico

Mesa Prieta contains one of the largest collections of petroglyphs in northern New Mexico, and with the generosity and support of our members, the Conservancy recently expanded its protection of this important cultural area...
Photo of three people digging out a canal.

Gulf Shores Canal | Alabama

Waterways were the major highways of pre-contact America, and this was especially true in coastal areas like the Alabama Gulf Coast where people depended heavily on coastal wetlands for food, shelter, and raw materials....

Hedley Pueblo | Utah

The Archaeological Conservancy has accepted a donation of a 100-acre tract of land in San Juan County, Utah from Conservancy members Ellie Caryl and Andrew McGregor, which adds to the Conservancy’s preservation of Hedley...
Photo showing grid-like pattern of rocks sitting high above a lake in a desert setting.

Hamilton Family Archaeological Preserve | Nevada

The Hamilton Family Archaeological Preserve in western Nevada sits high on a talus bluff overlooking the Lahontan Reservoir, within the ancestral lands of the Numu (Northern Paiute). The site was first recorded in 1991...
Photo of 3 men standing on leaf and brush covered mound with deciduous trees in the background.

Etna Township Mound Number 1 | Ohio

The Conservancy recently received the donation of a remarkably well-preserved conical mound in central Ohio known as Etna Township Mound Number 1. The mound is approximately six feet high and ninety feet in diameter,...

Shields Pueblo | Colorado

The Conservancy has obtained a thirty-five acre parcel northwest of Cortez, Colorado, containing Shields Pueblo, a large Ancestral Puebloan site with primary occupation dates of A.D. 1050 to 1300, and an extended occupation dating...

Yellowjacket Canyon Preserve | Colorado

Conservancy member Jerry Fetterman has donated a thirty-five-acre parcel in Colorado’s Montezuma Valley that contains significant archaeological resources. The parcel, which has been named the Yellowjacket Canyon Preserve, is located by the rim of Yellowjacket...